violencenoun [ U ]uk /ˈvaɪə.ləns/ us /ˈvaɪə.ləns/
- A lot of viewers complained that there was too much gratuitous sex and violence in the film.
- How many people have died at the hands of terrorist organizations since the violence began?
- The programme makers reject the notion that seeing violence on television has a harmful effect on children.
- More police were sent to help contain the violence.
- This week's broadcast features a report on victims of domestic violence.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words