virusnoun [ C ]uk /ˈvaɪə.rəs/ us /ˈvaɪ.rəs/
virus noun [ C ] (DISEASE)
- A local doctor was the first to raise the alarm about this latest virus.
- The virus is contracted through exchange of bodily fluids.
- All the tomato plants are infected with a virus.
- The doctors have attributed the cause of the illness to an unknown virus.
- It's possible to pass on the virus to others through physical contact.
virus noun [ C ] (COMPUTER PROBLEM)
- A computer virus may lurk unseen in a computer's memory, calling up and infecting each of the machine's data files in turn.
- The virus deletes files and corrupts essential core microchips leaving computers unusable.
- All their customer information was wiped off the computer by a virus.
- If you think there may be a virus, don't open the attachment.
- I got a virus alert when I downloaded my email.