volcanonoun [ C ]uk /vɒlˈkeɪ.nəʊ/ us /vɑːlˈkeɪ.noʊ/ plural volcanoes or volcanos
an active volcano
- The long-dormant volcano has recently shown signs of erupting.
- The pictures were an eloquent reminder of the power of the volcano.
- Since the volcano last erupted, many houses have been built in a dangerous position on its slopes.
- Lava from the volcano was flowing down the hillside.
- The dust from the volcano spread northward.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: