volume noun (AMOUNT)
- One box may look bigger than the other, but in fact they are roughly equal in volume.
- Local activist groups have become increasingly vociferous as the volume of traffic passing through the village has grown.
- What is the volume of the water tank?
- I think this pan has a larger volume than yours.
- The transport system can't cope with the volume of passengers.
volume noun (SOUND LEVEL)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
volume noun (BOOK)
- He lifted a fat volume down from the shelf.
- Waugh's first volume of memoirs dealt with his childhood and youth.
- He penetrates deeper into the artist's life in the second volume of his autobiography.
- She picked up a thick volume and began to read out loud.
- This is the eighth volume in the series, which totals 21 volumes in all.