warnoun [ C or U ]uk /wɔːr/ us /wɔːr/
If this country goes to (= starts to fight in a) war we will have to face the fact that many people will die.
They've been at war for the last five years.
He died in the First World War/the Vietnam war.
war of attrition
war of nerves
the war on drugs
- The war has claimed thousands of lives.
- The prime minister is to meet his European counterparts to discuss the war against drugs.
- America declared war on Japan in 1941.
- There is likely to be civil war if the region tries to secede from the south.
- The number of casualties was appallingly high in both wars.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: