wastenounuk us /weɪst/
waste noun (BAD USE)
waste noun (UNWANTED MATTER)
- The government is having difficulty finding a safe depository for nuclear waste.
- Most people do not want this country to become a dumping ground for toxic waste.
- She makes a big profit from selling waste material to textile companies.
- Liquid and solid waste is collected in the tank.
- The Japanese recycle more than half their waste paper.
waste noun (EMPTY GROUND)
wasteverb [T]uk us /weɪst/
waste verb [T] (USE BADLY)
- The way we waste this planet's resources is criminal.
- A lot of water is wasted through leakage.
- We have to change the public's perception that money is being wasted.
- If you'd got on with your work instead of wasting time chatting, you'd be finished by now.
- Have some more vegetables - it would be a shame to waste them.