western adjective (DIRECTION)
California and other western states
- In the 1800s, thousands of homesteaders settled on the prairies of the western US.
- The Rockies are a mountain range in the western USA.
- In western Europe, a seven- to eight-hour working day is about the average.
- The western edge of the desert is home to many rare species of plants.
- He was an officer on the western front.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
western adjective (COUNTRIES)
a Western-educated engineer
- The book discusses the impact of Christian thinking on western society.
- His work explores the influence of Chinese philosophy on western thought.
- Western culture is viewed with suspicion in parts of Asia.
- Parts of the country are beginning to embrace western culture.
- He argued that many western values were antithetical to the teachings of Islam.
westernnoun [ C ]also Western uk /ˈwes.tən/ us /ˈwes.tɚn/ UK also cowboy film, US also cowboy movie