wildernessnoun [ C usually singular ]uk /ˈwɪl.də.nəs/ us /ˈwɪl.dɚ.nəs/
C2 an area of land that has not been used to grow crops or had towns and roads built on it, especially because it is difficult to live in as a result of its extremely cold or hot weather or bad earth:
- He abided in the wilderness for forty days.
- The area is a trackless wilderness.
- If he fails to gain the title, it could mean months in the wilderness.
- The area has reverted to wilderness since the mine closed down.
- The northern peninsula is a rocky wilderness.