worknounuk /wɜːk/ us /wɝːk/
work noun (ACTIVITY)
- In common with many mothers, she feels torn between her family and her work.
- You need to have agile fingers to do this kind of work.
- We had a disagreement over the fee for the work.
- We've finished decorating upstairs but the downstairs still needs some work.
- They pay me next to nothing but I really enjoy the work.
work noun (PLACE)
work noun (CREATION)
- This novel is his best work to date.
- The mature works of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert belong to the Classical period.
- The museum's collection includes works of art from all around the world.
- The exhibition juxtaposes Picasso's early drawings with some of his later works.
- In a coda to the main exhibition are various works which were once attributed to Rembrandt.
work noun (EVERYTHING)
work noun (FACTORY)
work noun (MACHINE)
workverbuk /wɜːk/ us /wɝːk/
work verb (HAVE EFFECT)
- The argument that sanctions should be given more time to work is seductive but fatally flawed.
- In conclusion, I submit that the proposal will not work without some major changes.
- The opposition claimed that the government's education policy was not working.
- My new diet seems to be working. I've lost weight already.
- These tactics worked well in the last match.
work verb (DO JOB)
work verb (OPERATE)
- You're welcome to it - I can never get it to work properly.
- Dust particles must have got into the motor, which is why it isn't working properly.
- How do you work this machine?
- It's a common-or-garden washing machine with just the basic functions, but it works perfectly well.
- The machine works according to the principle of electromagnetic conduction.
work verb (SUCCEED IN BECOMING)
- Sidney ruthlessly worked his way up from the position of junior clerk to chairman of the company.
- She is now a senior executive having worked her way up through the company.
- The splinter had worked its way under his skin.
- It will take all weekend to work through this pile of marking.
- She plans to work her way to the top.
work verb (ARRANGE)
work verb (SHAPE)