workingsnoun [plural]uk /ˈwɜː.kɪŋz/ us /ˈwɝː.kɪŋz/
workings noun [plural] (UNDER GROUND)
- What I need is a book that will demystify the workings of a car engine for me.
- Psychologists focus on the workings of the nervous system, especially the brain.
- She has a keen interest in the workings of government.
- The novel portrayed the despair of an ordinary man entangled in the workings of a bureaucratic legal system.
- The process is crucial to the workings of the living cell.
workings noun [plural] (CALCULATIONS)
workings noun [plural] (OPERATION)