A1 [ I or T ] to make marks that represent letters, words, or numbers on a surface, such as paper or a computer screen, using a pen, pencil, or keyboard, or to use this method to record thoughts, facts, or messages:
- Please write in ink, not in pencil.
- He wrote a letter of thanks to the hospital.
- He writes in a formal and rather stilted style.
- I've written twice and received no reply, so I might change tack and call her.
- She sat at her desk writing letters.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words