yardnoun [ C ]uk /jɑːd/ us /jɑːrd/
yard noun [ C ] (UNIT OF MEASUREMENT)
yard noun [ C ] (WORK AREA)
a lumber yard
a scrap yard
- Since they set up a builder's yard next door, our house has depreciated in value.
- The state of the economy has led to many small businesses ending up in the knacker's yard.
- I bought a cheap, replacement headlight from the scrap yard.
- A lot of heavy lorries use this road on the way to the builder's yard.
- There's a recycling point for old fridges at the scrap yard.
yard noun [ C ] (LAND NEXT TO BUILDING)
a prison yard
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words