yourself pronoun (PERSON/PEOPLE ADDRESSED)
Katie, control yourself!
Did you make the dress yourself?
You can do that yourself.
(all) by yourself
not be/seem/feel yourself
- I'm ready to go home now but I don't want to drag you away if you're enjoying yourself.
- "Might I have some more bread?" "Please, help yourself!"
- Don't even think about lifting me up, Ted, you might do yourself an injury.
- "I don't think I'll come to the party tonight." "All right, suit yourself!"
- So it's finally clicked that you're going to have to get yourself a job, has it?
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
yourself pronoun (PEOPLE GENERALLY)
- Acting is very competitive - you've got to really push yourself if you want to succeed.
- Treat minor ailments yourself.
- Taking responsibility for yourself is part of the process of growing up.
- Mispronunciation can be a serious obstacle to making yourself understood in a foreign language.
- Time passes so quickly when you're enjoying yourself.
Pronouns: reflexive (myself, themselves, etc.)Reflexive pronouns end in -self or -selves. They refer back to the subject forms of personal pronouns (underlined in the example below): …
Reflexive pronouns for same subject and objectWe often use reflexive pronouns when the subject and the object of the verb refer to the same person or thing: …
Reflexive pronouns + by meaning aloneWe often use reflexive pronouns with by to mean ‘alone’ or ‘without any help’: …