electionnoun [ C or U ]uk /iˈlek.ʃən/ us /iˈlek.ʃən/
The government is expected to call an election (= allow the country to vote) very soon. 预计政府会很快举行大选。
- There was a fall in support for the Republican party at the last election.
- I voted Labour in the last election.
- The election for the leadership of the council will take place on Tuesday.
- The recent free elections mark the next step in the country's progress towards democracy.
- He has established himself as the leading candidate in the election.