resolve verb (SOLVE)
- The dispute over the song rights proved impossible to resolve.
- A mediator has been called in to resolve the crisis.
- They had an awful row several years ago, but now they've resolved their differences.
- The president is predisposed towards negotiation and favours a peaceful way of resolving the crisis.
- I'm sure these problems can be satisfactorily resolved.
resolve verb (DECIDE)
[ + adv/prep ] After hours of argument, they resolved against taking legal action. 经过几个小时的争论，他们决定不提起诉讼。
[ + to infinitive ] The company resolved to take no further action against the thieves. 公司决定不再继续追究这些窃贼。