wantverb [ T ]uk /wɒnt/ us /wɑːnt/
want verb [ T ] (WISH)
I want some chocolate. 我想要些巧克力。
She wants a meeting with you. 她想跟你說句話。
He's everything you'd ever want in a man - bright, funny and attractive. 他具備你理想中男人的所有特質——聰明、風趣而又有魅力。
[ + obj + -ing verb ] I don't want you coming in at two a.m., waking me up. 我可不希望整個晚上都有大量的車輛從我家房子旁經過，吵得我睡不著覺。
want in/out of informal
- I don't want to talk about it anymore - let's drop the subject.
- They want to elevate the status of teachers.
- I wanted to buy it but it cost too much money.
- He wants to spend more time with his family.
- There's a queue of companies wanting to sell the product.
want verb [ T ] (NEED)
› UK to need something需要
[ + -ing verb ] The wine is in the fridge - it just wants cooling for a couple of minutes. 葡萄酒在冰箱裡——只需要冰鎮幾分鐘。