abbreviateverb [ T usually passive ]uk /əˈbriː.vi.eɪt/ us /əˈbriː.vi.eɪt/
"Daniel" is often abbreviated to "Dan".
"Chief Executive Officer" is abbreviated as "CEO".
- There is a list of abbreviations near the beginning of the book.
- What does the abbreviation WHO stand for?
- Please use the abbreviation 'cm' for 'centimetres', without any full stop after it.
- Sorry - could you explain what some of these abbreviations mean in your letter?
- We generally use the abbreviation 'MP' instead of writing out 'Member of Parliament' in full.
adjective uk /əˈbriː.vi.eɪ.tɪd/ us /əˈbriː.vi.eɪ.t̬ɪd/
"Di" is the abbreviated form of "Diane".