account (to sb) for sth
— phrasal verb with account uk /əˈkaʊnt/ us /əˈkaʊnt/ verb [ T + obj + noun/adj ] formal
- There is £50 missing from the till - how do account for that?
- You will have to account for your absence to the head teacher in the morning.
- Sarah was bullied at school, which might account for her behaviour now.
- It's difficult to account for the recent increase in violent crime.
- The prime minister will have to account to the whole nation for his decision.
Thesaurus: sinónimos y palabras relacionadas