adoptiveadjective [ before noun ]uk /əˈdɒp.tɪv/ us /əˈdɑːp.tɪv/
Examples from literature
- An adopted son passes completely out of the family of his natural, into that of his adoptive, father, all his rights and duties as a son being at the same time transferred.
- His adoptive father shall give him of his wealth one-third of a child's portion, and then he may go.
- His language to his emperor and adoptive father was deeply respectful and he spoke modestly of himself.
- This can be seen nowhere better than in his attitude toward his adoptive father Julius Caesar.
- Thus there came to the empire only experienced men, who without confusion assumed the throne of their adoptive fathers.