arbitraryadjectiveuk /ˈɑː.bɪ.trər.i/ us /ˈɑːr.bə.trer.i/
arbitrary adjective (CHANCE)
- Why did they cut your job and not mine? It seems to have been purely arbitrary.
- He played a few arbitrary notes on the piano, to try it out.
- I thought it was just an arbitrary arrangement of chairs - I didn't realize it was an art exhibit!
- The garden isn't planned at all - we tend to just plant things in an arbitrary way.
- The refugees were found during an arbitrary vehicle check at the ferry port.
- as luck would have it idiom
- be the luck of the draw idiom
- more by accident than design idiom
- more by luck than judgment idiom
- one in a million idiom
- postcode lottery
- pot luck
- stumble into sth
arbitrary adjective (UNFAIR)