cloudburstnoun [ C ]uk /ˈklaʊd.bɜːst/ us /ˈklaʊd.bɝːst/
Examples from literature
- All I hope is that we don't happen to be in the old canyon when that cloudburst you mentioned comes along.
- Meanwhile a mass of black thunderclouds gathering on the horizon threatened one of those cloudbursts of extreme severity and suddenness so characteristic of the plains country.
- No summer cyclones, no winter blizzards, no cloudbursts or bad thunderstorms.
- Somewhere up the valley there had been a cloudburst, for overhead the sun was bright.
- When the fury of the cloudburst had passed over, and the lightning no longer flickered in their faces, and the thunder growled away in the southeast, the risen water began to show its rolling surface.