contractornoun [ C ]uk /kənˈtræk.tər/ us /ˈkɑːn.træk.tɚ/
Examples from literature
- During the early part of the work, the contractor devoted his entire attention to the work of excavation.
- Each morning the engineer and the contractor marked with care the fall of the thermometer during the night, examined the frost upon the grass and tested its depth in the soil.
- Food. —The commissariat is supplied by a private contractor.
- He contracted for its making at a fixed price, and weighed out a precise amount of gold to the contractor.
- The King provided transport for each contractor and his retinue, baggage, and horses.