countrynounus uk /ˈkʌn.tri/
country noun (POLITICAL UNIT)
- After ten years of military dictatorship, the country now has a civil government.
- French cheeses are exported to many different countries.
- The Arab countries include Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Egypt.
- Tibet, once an independent country, is now part of China.
- The government has done little or nothing to help the poorest people in this country.
country noun (NATURAL LAND)
- We would dearly love to sell our flat and move to the country.
- Five soldiers died after their bus was ambushed on a country road.
- They have a house in the country and a flat in London.
- I found not having a car quite a handicap when I was living in the country.
- We spent a luxurious weekend at a hotel in the country.
country noun (PARTICULAR AREA)