defyverb [ T ]uk /dɪˈfaɪ/ us /dɪˈfaɪ/
The fact that aircraft don't fall out of the sky always seems to me to defy (= act against) the law of gravity.
defy sb to do sth
- The mess in Bart's room defies description!
- His remarkable recovery defied all medical augury.
- In 1970 he defied the three-line whip against EC membership.
- They defied convention by giving up their jobs and becoming self-sufficient.
- Tom Cruise has performed his own stunts for Mission Impossible 2, defying warnings from professionals.
Thesaurus: sinónimos y palabras relacionadas