determinismnoun [ U ]uk /dɪˈtɜː.mɪ.nɪ.zəm/ us /dɪˈtɝː.mə.nɪ.zəm/ specialized
Examples from literature
- Belief in creativeness and spontaneity replace the older belief in determinism.
- Determinism is not inconsistent with the cruel treatment of criminals.
- Determinism thus reflects upon itself and in a curious way turns to operate against itself.
- Economic determinism has been an antidote to mere preaching of goodness, to hero-worship and political quackery.
- The critique of science and the assaults upon determinism proceeded upon parallel lines.