dining carnoun [ C usually singular ]uk /ˈdaɪ.nɪŋ ˌkɑːr/ us /ˈdaɪ.nɪŋ ˌkɑːr/ US UK restaurant car
Examples from literature
- The trains had no dining cars, so passengers ate in the Cascade Station dining hall with the workers.
- Ask the dining car steward to see that he eats dinner on something better than candy bars.
- Breakfast will soon be served in the dining car.
- He raced back through two chair cars and a tourist sleeper, and he entered the dining car with an emphasis that kept the screen door swinging for a full half minute.
- The dining car has resumed its restaurant appearance, and here is the wedding banquet, instead of the usual fare.
- The train is no sooner off than the passengers go to the dining car.