downtownadjective [ before noun ], adverbuk /ˌdaʊnˈtaʊn/ us /ˌdaʊnˈtaʊn/ US UK central, centrally
downtown Los Angeles
a downtown address
- The regeneration of the city's downtown dock front will put it on a par with Nice or Cannes.
- He works in an office tower in downtown San Francisco.
- Vandals smashed windows and overturned cars in the downtown shopping district.
- I've got a meeting downtown in 20 minutes so I'll have lunch on the hoof.
- We bought a tourist guide to downtown Seattle before we left.