essencenounuk /ˈes.əns/ us /ˈes.əns/
essence noun (IMPORTANCE)
- The essence of punk music was a revolt against both the sound and the system of popular music.
- The paintings capture the essence of working life at the turn of the last century.
- He captures the essence of French country life with colourful and pretty designs.
- The builders are paid by the hour so speed is of the essence.
- The medieval fair featuring school children from around the region attempted to recapture the essence of medieval life.