explainverb [ I or T ]uk /ɪkˈspleɪn/ us /ɪkˈspleɪn/
Please could you explain why you're so late.
Molly asked the teacher if she could explain herself a little more clearly (= say more clearly what she meant).
- She tried to explain what had happened but he kept interrupting her.
- Any decent teacher should be able to explain the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs.
- Pay attention to what she's saying because she won't explain it a second time.
- She painstakingly explained how the machine worked.
- This booklet about the project explains things in an easy, non-technical way.