B2 of, on, for, or coming from the outside:
In later years, his paintings began to show a number of external influences (= influences coming from other people).
- This medicine is for external use only and should not be taken internally.
- The external part of the ear is far less important than the internal parts.
- If the device, for example a printer, has to be plugged into your computer, it is called an external device.
- There are no external symptoms of the disease for several weeks.
- These animals, known as arthropods, all have segmented bodies and an external skeleton.