father-in-lawnoun [ C ]uk /ˈfɑː.ðər.ɪn.lɔː/ us /ˈfɑː.ðɚ.ɪn.lɑː/ plural ^fathers-in-law
Thesaurus: sinónimos y palabras relacionadas
Examples from literature
- 'Nothing could be better,' said the father-in-law, rubbing his hands.
- His irritation was not likely to be soothed when he realised the extent to which he had been duped by his father-in-law.
- On hearing that we intended to remain for the night where we were, he persuaded us to accompany him to the estate of his father-in-law, which was situated close at hand.
- Then he woke his father-in-law gently, and went off.
- Young men don't seem to care, as a general rule, for an idiot father-in-law!