footmannoun [ C ]uk /ˈfʊt.mən/ us /ˈfʊt.mən/ plural -men uk /-mən/ us
Examples from literature
- Charles, the footman, met them there, with his face whiter than his napkin, and held up his hands, but could not speak.
- Guests were received at the door by a footman.
- The footman dismounted and opened the door.
- The footman piloted them, merely touching his hat quickly to Emily, being fully aware that she could take care of herself.
- When I descended at the door and rang, the footman was not aware whether Miss Lydia was in.