a formidable intellect
- She was once a political nonentity, but has since won a formidable reputation as a determined campaigner.
- She is a formidable figure who commands a great deal of respect .
- My tennis is really improving - I've got a formidable two-handed backhand.
- He worked in the property business for a number of years, acquiring a reputation as a formidable wheeler-dealer.
- In Tyson he had come up against a formidable opponent.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
adverb uk /fɔːˈmɪd.ə.bli/ us /fɔːrˈmɪd.ə.bli/