goalnoun [C]uk /ɡəʊl/ us /ɡoʊl/
goal noun [C] (SPORT)
- Whenever their team scored a goal, they leaped up and down clanking their beer cans together.
- It was Johansson who scored the all-important goal shortly before half-time.
- Coventry had a goal disallowed for offside.
- He scored a spectacular goal in the second half.
- He scored three goals in quick succession.
goal noun [C] (AIM)
- We must ensure that we do not set ourselves goals that are not attainable.
- They have set themselves a series of goals to achieve by the end of the month.
- The protection of the Antarctic from commercial exploitation is an important goal of environmentalists.
- Our goal is for the country to be fully independent within two years.
- Some economists think that full employment in Europe is an unattainable goal.