humanitarianadjective, noun [ C ]uk /hjuːˌmæn.ɪˈteə.ri.ən/ us /hjuːˌmæn.ɪˈter.i.ən/
The United Nations is sending humanitarian aid (= food and supplies to help people) to the areas worst affected by the conflict.
- The Vatican has agreed to donate $80,000 in humanitarian aid to countries affected by the war.
- A huge relief effort will be required to avert a humanitarian disaster.
- She reported on the humanitarian crisis in the region.
- Humanitarian aid is being airlifted to the country.
- The sanctions have been lifted for humanitarian reasons.
noun [ U ] uk /hjuːˌmæn.ɪˈteə.ri.ə.nɪ.zəm/ us /hjuːˌmæn.ɪˈter.i.ə.nɪ.zəm/