impactnoun [C usually singular, U]uk us /ˈɪm.pækt/
- The increase in the number of young people leaving to work in the cities has had a dramatic impact on the demography of the villages.
- This decision will have a disastrous impact on foreign policy.
- The report concluded that business pressure on the government had muffled the impact of the legislation.
- The tax on fuel will not have a serious impact on the better-off.
- The book discusses the impact of Christian thinking on western society.
impactverb [I or T]uk us /ɪmˈpækt/ mainly US