- What was once an informal event has now become institutionalized.
- People chatting at a party will usually be talking in an informal register.
- Many informal expressions are gaining currency in serious newspapers.
- The party itself was a fairly informal affair.
- They started as informal gatherings but they have become increasingly formalized in the last few years.
adverb uk /ɪnˈfɔː.mə.li/ us /ɪnˈfɔːr.mə.li/
noun [ U ] uk /ˌɪn.fɔːˈmæl.ə.ti/ us /ˌɪn.fɔːrˈmæl.ə.t̬i/
Formal and informal languageWe use formal language in situations that are serious or that involve people we don’t know well. Informal language is more commonly used in situations that are more relaxed and involve people we know well. …
RegisterWe use the term ‘register’ to refer to particular varieties or styles of speaking and writing. Registers vary because the language is used for different purposes, in different contexts and for different audiences. For example, there is a legal register, a register of advertising, registers of banking and a register of weather forecasting. We commonly recognise registers because of their specialised vocabulary but also because of particular uses of grammar. We also use the term register to refer to whether language is being used formally or informally: …