opposite adjective (DIFFERENT)
B2 completely different:
- The two politicians have diametrically opposite points of view.
- Two of the president's chief advisors have staked out opposite positions on this issue.
- He held the opposite view to his brother.
- The witnesses gave opposite accounts of who caused the accident.
- The movie was supposed to be scary, but it had the opposite effect on him.
opposite adjective (FACING)
- "No, go that way, " I said, pointing in the opposite direction.
- These two men might be thought to represent the opposite poles of economic ideology.
- By the time we reached the opposite bank, the boat was sinking fast.
- Firmly secure the two uprights to opposite walls in the alcove and then slot the shelves in between them.
- They drove away in opposite directions.
They sat opposite each other.
act/play/star opposite sb
Thesaurus: sinónimos y palabras relacionadas
También encontrarás palabras, frases y sinónimos relacionados con los temas:
oppositenoun [ C often singular ]uk /ˈɒp.ə.zɪt/ us /ˈɑː.pə.zɪt/
People say opposites attract.