referendumnoun [C]uk /ˌref.əˈren.dəm/ us /ˌref.əˈren.dəm/ plural referendums or formal referenda formal plebiscite formal
- A nationwide referendum will be held to decide the issue.
- The opposition are demanding a referendum on the issue.
- A referendum was held on the question of whether the U.K. should remain a member of the European Community.
- The proposed referendum is consultative only and is not binding on Parliament.
- There has been much debate over the exact wording of the referendum.