sentencenoun [C]uk us /ˈsen.təns/
sentence noun [C] (WORD GROUP)
- 'Bob' is the subject of the sentence 'Bob threw the ball'.
- In the sentence 'I wish I were rich', the verb 'were' is in the subjunctive.
- Sorry, could you just say that last sentence again please?
- 'He was released from prison, ' is a passive sentence.
- In the sentence 'I sent Victoria a letter', 'send' is ditransitive.
sentence noun [C] (PUNISHMENT)
sentenceverb [T]uk us /ˈsen.təns/ specialized
- Her sentence was commuted from death to life imprisonment.
- As it was her first conviction for stealing, she was given a less severe sentence.
- In some countries, drug-smuggling still carries the death sentence.
- The judge made an example of him and gave him the maximum possible sentence.
- He won his appeal and the sentence was halved.