speech noun (SAY WORDS)
Thesaurus: sinónimos y palabras relacionadas
speech noun (FORMAL TALK)
I had to give/make a speech at my brother's wedding.
He gave the after-dinner speech (= a talk given after a formal evening meal at which a large number of people are present).
- Her speech was received with cheers and a standing ovation.
- She closed the meeting with a short speech.
- The vicar's forgetting his lines in the middle of the speech provided some good comedy.
- Her speech caused outrage among the gay community.
- She concluded the speech by reminding us of our responsibility.
Speech into writingBoth speech and writing can be formal or informal. Whether language is formal or informal depends on who our readers and listeners are, for what purpose we use the language and the situation in which we use it. For example, an official notice would be written in formal English, whereas the same information would be more commonly written informally by an individual in a less public situation: …