welfarenoun [U]uk /ˈwel.feər/ us /ˈwel.fer/
welfare noun [U] (HELP)
- It is widely acknowledged that the welfare system is under-resourced.
- The whole scheme is intended to wean people off welfare dependency.
- He argues that the Congress and President Clinton trampled the constitutional rights of legal immigrants in the new welfare reform law.
- Since being made redundant, he has been receiving welfare.
- The lobbyists are seeking reforms to the welfare system.
welfare noun [U] (HEALTH AND HAPPINESS)