worldnounuk /wɜːld/ us /wɝːld/
world noun (THE EARTH)
- People from different cultures have different conceptions of the world.
- The richer countries of the world should take concerted action to help the poorer countries.
- I'm flirting with the idea of taking a year off and travelling round the world.
- He's one of the highest-earning professional golfers in the world.
- The museum's collection includes works of art from all around the world.
world noun (GROUP/AREA)
- This argument may seem arcane to those not closely involved in the world of finance.
- He was considered as something of a maverick in the publishing world.
- They are unable to see beyond the narrow world of the theatre.
- Stars from the world of entertainment turned out to celebrate his 40th year in show business.
- She was a key figure in the international art world.
world noun (PLANET)