Cambridge Dictionaries online Cambridge Dictionaries online

The most popular online dictionary and thesaurus for learners of English

English definition of “synovial fluid”

synovial fluid

noun [U] uk   /saɪˌnəʊ.vi.əlˈfluː.ɪd/ us    /-ˌnoʊ-/ specialized
a transparent, sticky liquid produced in our joints (= places where two bones are connected) that allows the bones and tendons to move smoothlySubstances and structures in the body
(Definition of synovial fluid from the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
What is the pronunciation of synovial fluid?
Add Cambridge dictionaries to your browser to your website

Translations of “synovial fluid”

Word of the Day


to send something through the air with force, especially by a sudden movement of the arm

Word of the Day


Read our blog about how the English language behaves.

Learn More

New Words

Find words and meanings that have just started to be used in English, and let us know what you think of them.

Learn More