press verb (PUSH)
- Peel off the backing strip and press the label down firmly.
- I put my money in the slot and pressed the button but nothing came out.
- I pressed the buzzer and after a while someone came to the door.
- Mike pressed hard on the wound and staunched the flow of blood.
- He inserted the CD and pressed the 'play' button.
press verb (PERSUADE)
He's pressing me for an answer. 他逼着我作出答复。
press noun (NEWSPAPERS)
the press [ S, + sing/pl verb ]
- The government is being widely criticized in the press for failing to limit air pollution.
- The judge issued a gagging order to prevent the witnesses from speaking to the press.
- Jones was censured for leaking a secret report to the press.
- The school issued the press with a statement about its plans.
- I never said that at all - the press misquoted me.
The charity invited the press (= reporters and photographers) to a presentation of its plans for the future. 这家慈善机构邀请新闻界参加其未来计划的介绍会。
press noun (BOOKS)
press noun (PRINTING MACHINE)
press noun (PUSH)