principle noun (IDEA)
The organization works on the principle that all members have the same rights. 该组织的工作原则是所有的成员都享有同等的权利。
In principle I agree with the idea, but in practice it's not always possible. 我大体赞成这个想法，但实际上这并非总是可行。
- The school is based on the fundamental principle that each child should develop its full potential.
- The government has promised to uphold the principles of democracy.
- In the 1870s and 1880s, doctors began to follow the principles of antiseptic surgery.
- The party's principles are basically egalitarian.
- Johnson calls this phenomenon 'the principle of minimal effort'.
principle noun (RULE)
She doesn't have any principles. 她毫无道德可言。
He was a man of principle. 他是个有道德准则的人。
Anyway, I can't deceive him - it's against all my principles. 无论如何，我不能欺骗他——这有悖于我做人的原则。