affairnoun [ C ]uk /əˈfeər/ us /əˈfer/
affair noun [ C ] (MATTER)
- The whole affair does not reflect well on the government.
- As a leader, he's been criticized for his inexperience in foreign affairs.
- He put his affairs in order before he went into hospital.
- I've never been very money-minded - I leave all my business affairs to my financial adviser.
- The director has come in for a lot of criticism over his handling of the affair.
affair noun [ C ] (RELATIONSHIP)
She's having an affair with a married man. 她和一個有婦之夫私通。
an extramarital affair 婚外情
- She discovered (that) her husband was having an affair.
- They have been rather indiscreet about their affair.
- It's an open secret around the office that they're having an affair.
- Their love affair began against a backdrop of war.
- She hired a private detective to find out if her husband was having an affair.