mean verb (EXPRESS)
What does this word mean? 這個詞是甚麼意思？
[ + that ] These figures mean that almost six percent of the working population is unemployed. 這些數字意味著近6%的勞動人口處於失業狀態。
What do you mean by that remark? 你那句話是甚麼意思？
Give it back now! I mean it. 現在就把它還了！我是說真的。
- When he said three o'clock, I thought he meant in the afternoon.
- Charges are made on a sliding scale, which means that the amount you must pay increases with the level of your income.
- If you don't know what the word means, look it up in a dictionary.
- You should take it as a compliment when I fall asleep in your company - it means I'm relaxed.
- A continuous white line in the middle of the road means no overtaking.
mean verb (HAVE RESULT)
[ + that ] Advances in electronics mean that the technology is already available. 電子學方面的進步使這項技術已經可供人們利用。
- High acidity levels in the water mean that the fish are not so large.
- Shortages mean that even staples like bread are difficult to find.
- In a way I'd prefer it if they didn't come, because it would mean extra work.
- Let's say that the journey takes three hours, that means you'll arrive at two o'clock.
- The irregularity of English spelling means that it is easy to make mistakes.
mean verb (INTEND)
be meant to do sth
› to be intended to被期望，應該，預期
We were meant to have gone away this week, but Debbie's ill so we couldn't go. 這周我們本該要走，但是戴比病了，所以我們走不了。
mean verb (HAVE IMPORTANCE)
Possessions mean nothing to him. 財富對他來說毫無意義。
mean adjective (NOT GENEROUS)
mean adjective (NOT KIND)
Stop being so mean to me! 別對我那麼刻薄！
She just said it to be mean. 她那麼說就是為了讓人不悅。