principle noun (IDEA)
The organization works on the principle that all members have the same rights. 該組織運作的原則是所有的成員都享有同等的權利。
In principle I agree with the idea, but in practice it's not always possible. 我大致贊成這個想法，但實際上這並非總是可行。
- The school is based on the fundamental principle that each child should develop its full potential.
- The government has promised to uphold the principles of democracy.
- In the 1870s and 1880s, doctors began to follow the principles of antiseptic surgery.
- The party's principles are basically egalitarian.
- Johnson calls this phenomenon 'the principle of minimal effort'.
principle noun (RULE)
She doesn't have any principles. 她毫無道德可言。
He was a man of principle. 他是個有道德準則的人。
Anyway, I can't deceive him - it's against all my principles. 無論如何，我不能欺騙他——這有悖於我做人的原則。