responsible adjective (DUTY)
be responsible for sb/sth/doing sth
- The city council is responsible for keeping the streets clean.
- Our practice is responsible for about five thousand patients in this part of Leeds.
- Council employees are responsible for the upkeep of the gardens.
- The Forestry Commission is responsible for preserving over 2 million acres of woodland.
- Nurseries are responsible for the children in their care.
responsible adjective (BLAME)
be responsible for sth/doing sth
- The company claims (that) it is not responsible for the pollution in the river.
- To some extent, she was responsible for the accident.
- Those responsible for these crimes must be brought to court and punished.
- The car is responsible for causing a lot of damage to our environment.
- The police seem certain (that) they will find the people responsible for the attack.
hold sb/sth responsible
responsible adjective (GOOD JUDGMENT)
Many big companies are now becoming more responsible about the way they operate. 許多大公司現在在經營方式上變得越來越穩健紮實。
- He's grown into a fine, responsible young man.
- He seemed to be a responsible person, so I left him to his own devices.
- The company is currently trying to burnish its socially responsible image.
- The company is regarded as an extremely responsible employer.
- They were looking for someone responsible enough to be left alone with the children.